Thursday, October 29, 2009

Q & A: "I should be completely off the pill for six months before trying"

Q. I'm 28 and have been on the pill for 12 years. We are
thinking about having children in the next two years. Some say I
should be completely off the pill for six months before trying.
Others said it doesn't matter, I can get off the pill and get
pregnant right away. Who is right?

A. Contrary to your friend's advise, it is not necessary to
be off the pill for an extended period of time before
attempting pregnancy. There is no increased risk of birth defects
or other problems if you concieve right after stopping the pill.
I usually advise allowing one normal period after discontinuing
the pill, to allow your menstral cycle to return to its usual
pattern, and then try for pregnancy. This makes it easier to know
when your fertile time is in the cycle, and makes for more
accruate calculation of your due date when pregnant. Good luck!

-- S. Yates

No comments: